The Privilege of Creativity...


For me, initiative, daring and drive, believing implicitly in the authenticity of my thoughts and emotions and trusting my creative instincts – while having the courage to question my own assumptions – are at the heart of the creative process.

Credentials can be very important as one navigates the sometimes treacherous waters of one’s particular discipline, but for me they’ll never be proof positive, either of one’s potential in a given endeavor or the quality of his work.

It is important, I think, to acknowledge that not everyone was meant to be credentialed, and that some of the finest minds in history have had no real credentials at all. What they DID have, however, was the energy and intellectual curiosity to drive them to ever higher levels of artistic expression. With or without the credentials I’ve acquired, I have always concentrated, not on claims of what I can do if given an opportunity, but on productivity – on diving headlong into my creative endeavors and getting things done.

The Arts provide all of us with a marvelous opportunity to express our reverence for life through words, music, images and movement. They also bless us with a uniquely human ability to share that reverence with people around the world, from every walk of life.

It is a distinct privilege to have gotten the training, and then the decades-long seasoning, to become another creative voice within the world-wide community of artists – a transmitter of all things beautiful. We can then proudly wear that artistry, like fine jewels or elegant clothing, as we travel about the globe, leaving our creative imprint on the hearts and souls of anyone who cares to see, to listen, and to absorb our message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment