What's on My Mind Today...

Many years ago, while working as a free-lance magazine writer, I traveled to Philadephia and interviewed Buckminster Fuller, the philosopher, inventor, architect and visionary. My article was accepted by a newly created magazine in Maine, but the magazine folded before my article ever reached the press. The article lies buried in a manila folder now, but my memories of my encounter with Fuller have continued to inspire and influence my thinking ever since that interview.

Bucky Fuller, who invented the geodesic dome, the tetrahedronal truss and the Dymaxion car among his astonishing array of creations, wrote a great many books in which he offered both brilliant insights and sage advice.

I especially treasure one particular piece of advice he gave me both in his writings and during my interview with him. "Many people see naps as a sign of indolence and even laziness," he said. "But that's not necessarily true. I am a firm believer in the power of napping to clear the mind -- as if one had just wiped the writing from a chalk board -- and make room for fresh ideas. I actually nap several times a day. If you're in the middle of a problem and cannot find a solution, I strongly recommend that you take a nap. I've often solved the most difficult problems right after awakening from one of my naps."

Incidentally, after I had finished my hour with Fuller, I confessed that like anyone else, I was a fan -- not just a writer -- and would welcome a chance to have his autograph. I said that my daughter, who at the time was in the 6th grade, had written a paper about him and would especially enjoy having an autograph of one of her favorite creative thinkers.

He said, "What is your daughter's name?"

"Amy," I said.

He then grabbed a sheet of lined notebook paper and three pens, each with a different color ink. Hunched over his desk, intensely focused, he drew a freehand but wonderfully precise geodesic dome, signed it with a flourish, then handed it to me.

On the drawing he had written, "Once in love with Amy, Always in love with Amy -- that's me! -- R. Buckminster Fuller."

That wonderful drawing is now in my daughter's home in Cincinnati.

And when the drawing was complete, Mr. R. Buckminster Fuller stood up and said, "Well, I've got to pee, so this interview is over!"

And I went back to Maine with the drawing and the article notes in hand, forever changed by that momentous encounter.

Here, you have a stellar example of the power of sharing your gifts with others -- and of napping. Do both regularly, and you'll be better for it. And so will the people around you.

Ross Bachelder -- 12 5 10

No comments:

Post a Comment